On January 1, 2024, the South Korean Ministry of Justice started a digital nomad pilot program to attract foreign tourists to South Korea.
The digital nomad visa can be applied for at an overseas Korean consulate. Additionally, an individual who is already in the country on a tourist visa may apply at the immigration office in Korea. Document requirements and timelines will depend on the specific overseas consulate. To qualify for the program, an individual must meet the following requirements:
- Be authorized by an overseas company to work remotely;
- Have worked in the same industry for more than one year;
- Earn an annual income of KRW84,960,000;
- Be 18 years or older (except for accompanying family members); and
- Have personal health insurance with coverage of at least KRW100,000,000 for hospital treatment and evacuation to home country during the period of stay.
The visa will be valid for a one-year period and can be extended for an additional year for up to two years total.
For assistance with navigating the new digital nomad program, please reach out to the T&S APAC team.