The Government of Malaysia announced that – effective 24 June 2020 – foreign nationals holding either an Employment Pass (Category I) (foreign employees earning a monthly salary of at least RM10,000) or a Resident Pass-Talent (a 10 year residency), as well as with their dependents, are now permitted to return to Malaysia without having to obtain an entry approval from the Immigration Department as was previously required under the Movement Control Order.
Holders of Employment Passes (Categories II and III) ands their family members, Professional Visit Passes (PVPs) and Long-Term Social Visit Passes continue to require an entry approval an entry approval from the Immigration Department before they are able to enter and return to Malaysia. For example, to obtain an entry approval, EP and PVP holders must be assuming “key posts” and “technical posts” in Malaysia.
All those foreign nationals who are permitted to return to Malaysia must still comply with the following requirements:
- They must hold a valid pass or approved pass application
- They must have tested negative for COVID-19 through a PCR swab test within 3 days before entry to Malaysia
- They must download “MySejahtera” App and complete the relevant details
- They must self-quarantine for 14 days, with the exception of Employment Pass (Category I) or Resident Pass-Talent holders traveling from “Green Zone” countries, including Australia, Brunei, New Zealand and Singapore (Green Zone countries are re-evaluated on an ongoing basis)
- Self-quarantine is not required for PVP holders entering Malaysia for emergency work (they will have to leave Malaysia as soon as the emergency work is completed).
For additional information regarding this topic, please contact [email protected].